In North Brooklyn, there are more than 100 green spaces that fall within the scope of OSA’s mission statement. These range from green spaces to Green Streets, playgrounds, athletic fields and more. Click on the thumbnail below to launch a map showing every park in North Brooklyn.
A map of all of the parks that fall within the scope of OSA’s mission statement.
Below you will find information on several larger parks in North Brooklyn. For further detail on any park in North Brooklyn and all of New York City, please visit the link below and click on the “Parks” tab.
Originally named Greenpoint Park, the park was renamed McCarren Park during the first half of the 1900s after Patrick Henry McCarren (1847-1909), an Irish immigrant who worked in the Williamsburg sugar refineries and eventually became a powerful State Senator.
The park is a popular regional destination for recreational softball, baseball, soccer, handball, kickball and other sports, as well as sunbathing and dog-walking. The park also includes the McCarren Park Pool which is now undergoing a $50 million dollar PlaNYC restoration.
Monsignor McGolrick Park is a graceful, gardened park, with walkways lined by 100+ year old trees, featuring the French neo-classical styled Shelter Pavillion as its centerpiece. The Shelter Pavillion was designed by Helme and Huberty (who also designed the Greenpoint Savings Bank, as well as Prospect Park’s Tennis House and Boathouse) and built in 1910. The National Register and NYC have awarded it landmark status.
Bushwick Inlet Park is under development and will encompass 28 waterfront acres (from N9th to Quay Sts., adjacent to the existing State Park).
The conceptual plan for Bushwick Inlet Park calls for a variety of active and passive recreation, including soccer and softball fields, volleyball courts, a central lawn, beach area, picnic area, bird and wetland gardens, a boat house and boat launch, community meeting space, vistors’ center, Monitor Museum, bike and pedestrian walkways, dogrun, and other amenities. Construction of Phase 1 of the park – adjacent to the East River State Park and running from North 9th to North 10th Streets begins in 2009.
Newton Barge Terminal Playground was named for the barge canal terminal that once occupied the site. The Keskachauge Indians inhabited the surrounding region for centuries, before this property became a park or a barge terminal. When European mariners arrived, they called the entire peninsula “Greenpoint” because of a grassy bluff on the bank of the East River.
The City of New York acquired this property in 1925. The small set of concrete steps facing Franklin Street mark the spot of a comfort station that was removed in the 1990s. The playground is ringed by beautiful shade trees, beneath which are benches, providing a cool respite for the hot and tired during the summer months. A playset with safety surfacing, toddler and child swings, and a spray shower give children ample outlets for activity. A flagpole and yardarm displays the flags of the United States, the City of New York, and Parks. The park is well lit at night by a large lighting tower.
Located east of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, or BQE, between Broadway and South 5th Street, this park is located directly between two other parks Rodney Park North and Rodney Park South that all take their names from nearby Rodney Street. Rodney Street, in turn, honors American patriot and statesman, Caesar Rodney (1728-1784). Rodney Street, in turn, honors American patriot and statesman, Caesar Rodney (1728-1784).
Today, Rodney Park Center features handball courts, as well as several benches. For local residents, it is a welcome place for recreation and relaxation along a busy thoroughfare.
This park honors Frances Hamburger Sternberg (1920-1990), a New York native and active Brooklyn community member who contributed extensively to the social and political life of the Greenpoint and Williamsburg neighborhoods. Her life of philanthropy included chairing the Friends of Lindsay Park (this park’s previous name) Committee.
In October 1990, a local law renamed this park and playground for Sternberg. It offers baseball fields, basketball courts, and handball courts. The playground contains swings, play equipment with safety surfacing, benches, picnic tables, and a comfort station. A flagpole with a yardarm and London planetrees (Platanus x acerifolia) add to the beauty of the park.
Philanthropist, industrialist and inventor–Peter Cooper (1791-1883) was a native New Yorker and workingman’s son with less than a year of formal schooling, who became one of the most successful American businessmen of his day. In 1895 Cooper’s descendants sold the site of the old glue factory to the City of Brooklyn for $55,000. Within a year the site, known as Cooper Park, was outfitted with a playground and landscaping. A major reconstruction project in 1965 removed a track and wading pool and added basketball and handball courts, game tables, boccie courts, and painted games. New play equipment, representing 1960s innovations in playground design, included an arcade climber, spiral/helical slide, mountain climber, hexapod, and ups ‘n downs.
Grand Ferry Park was a ferry landing that served the burgeoning populace of Williamsburg before it became part of Brooklyn. It is named for the 19th century Grand Street Ferry, which once carried farm goods and passengers across the East River to Manhattan.
In 2008, the park landscape was reconstructed with new plantings, paths and drainage. This project was funded in part by the New York State Power Authority, in connection with their new plant just north of the park. As part of the wetlands requirements for this waterfront parcel, mandated by the Department of Environmental Protection. At the water’s edge, a line of boulders, or rip-rap, protects the shoreline from erosion and provides seating with a view across the water to the downtown Manhattan skyline. On one side of the park’s slope, a trench lined with rocks stretches from Grand Street to the water.